Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer 2013

I am probably the absolute worst blogger of all time!! Duncan is only a few days away from being 7 months old, and Rissa is (as she likes to say) 4 and 3/4 years old!  Just the other day she came into the living room because we needed "to have a conversation" about how "the month after next, on the 15th, I will be FIVE.  And we need to talk about my party" :)  I can't believe how quickly time truly flies and how fast our babies are growing!

Rissa and Duncan have been spending their summer at home with a Nanny we hired and they are having a great summer full of outside play and just getting to be together.  They are so in love with each other, it is beautiful to see their relationship blooming right before our eyes.  Rissa is an amazingly loving and caring big sister to her sweet little "Butter".  This past weekend we went to Dallas to celebrate Todd's older brothers birthday as well as get to see Jason, a rare treat since he is on the boat so often!  We had 2 full days of swimming and sun and Rissa's swimming skills really advanced in just 2 short days.  She wears floaties when no adults are in the pool, but when there is an adult, she takes of those floaties and swims like a super fish!  She is growing into quite the water lover.  Duncan got his first taste of the pool and took to it wonderfully.  He loved being in the water and splashing everywhere.

This morning, Rissa, Todd and I went up to CTK, Rissa's old school, to give her 2 teachers some (very belated) teacher gifts and for us to tie up some lose ends there at the school.  When I graduated high school, my dance teacher, Janis, gave me the Dr. Seuss book 'Oh, the Places You'll Go!'.  I have decided to pass it on to Rissa but with a fun twist.  Each school year she finishes, I am going to get her teachers to sign the book and write something about Rissa and their experience with her over the year, then at her high school graduation, present it to her with notes from her teachers over the previous 14 or so years.  This year started that tradition, and I wanted to share with you one of the notes in the book written by one of the young teacher assistants at the school, Andrea.  She is a very wonderful young woman who has helped out with Rissa's classes since she started at CTK and has always shown great affection for Rissa.  Her note made me well up, I must admit.

Marissa,
I knew you in between the ages of two and four.  Even at the age, you are one of the most strong and independent people I have ever met.  You are creative, outspoken, and kind hearted. Sometimes, you get frustrated with the "injustices" of childhood, but it's been very endearing to see what an advocate for justice and your liberties you are! I have had the unique opportunity to observe you interact with all types of personalities and you emerge as a leader every time.  I truly see you succeeding in anything you choose to do.  Have faith in yourself, always!   Andrea.

What a wonderful thing as a mother to read about your strong willed and often misunderstood child.  I am so proud of the strides Rissa has made in the last two years at the ECDC,  She has learned so much academically, she is reading, writing, adding, subtracting and even multiplying!  She really IS a defender of the younger and smaller, and has the leadership capabilities to thrive.  I am honored to call her my daughter and I cannot wait to see what wonderful things she will learn about herself in Kindergarten this Fall!

Our other big news is Todd!! He has been with the production department at Ramar Communications, the Fox affiliate here in town, for 5 years and has finally found greener pastures!  Starting next Monday (his last day was Friday and he is taking a week off) he will be focusing on our business, Vintage Penguin Studios doing freelance photography, home content documentation for insurance purposes, and consulting with an ad agency here in town.  He will officially go to work for the ad agency, Griffin Wink, in 6 months when his non-compete with Ramar has lapsed.  We are so very thrilled with this new chapter for Todd and our family and cannot wait to see how this new experience will touch Todd's daily life with an abundance of joy!

I hope all of you are well and happy and that you have a wonderful and safe summer!  God Bless each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment